Thursday, May 31, 2012

Ages 6-42. What We're Reading Now

I come from a big family of readers and at every family gathering, we are all pumping each other for information about the books we're reading.  And we like a variety.  My brother-in-law is into anything that involves a war, my sister loves mysteries.  My mom reads pretty much anything she can get her hands on, while my dad fluctuates between spy novels, biographies, and whatever random thing his book club has picked out.  But the bottom line is...we're all always looking for something good to read.

So here is a break down of what we're reading right now, from kindergarten to...well...a lot older than kindergarten.

Mike (42) just finished reading How We Decide which was recommended to him by my sister.  If you like Malcolm Gladwell books like Blink and Outliers you'll love this one.




I (almost 36) have been on an Anna Quindlen kick.  I always do this:  I find an author I like and then get completely absorbed.  Ms. Quindlen has written some amazing fiction (which I've always known), but I'm just now getting into her non-fiction.  "Living Out Loud" is a book that I think every woman in her 30s should read.  It was a little tough to find, but her new book Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake is out now and I can't wait to read it.





My oldest daughter (10) inherited my love of diving into an author.  So lately she has been reading a lot of Ann M. Martin, which I love because I grew up with The Babysitter's Club books.  But, lucky for us all, Ms. Martin has written other books and series, so I think my daughter's summer reading list is taken care of.




My son (8) is just like every other boy in America and got completely sucked into the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books and was so sad when he read his last one.  So, after reading The Strange Case of Origami Yoda he is now into This Book Is Not Good for You, a title that will grab any kid and a mystery that will keep them hooked.





My youngest (6) has officially graduated from picture books to reading the Judy Moody series (yes, she's reading it on her own...I am not reading it to her).  I would love to tell her to look at the scenery when we get into the car, but her nose immediately dives into her book.  Hey...if it keeps her from arguing with the rest of us, who am I to complain?





So there you have it.  What the adults have been reading when we feel the need to be lazy and what the kids are reading when we beg them to be quiet.

And since we're always looking for something good to read...what's on your list?

2 comments:

  1. LOVE IT! Catherine, this is probably one of my favorite posts of yours :) I just finished Two Kisses for Maddy - it was awesome and full of harsh language, but I'm back into the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency for my summer road trips. My kindle bill keeps growing! - Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...thanks Jess! That is a GREAT book. And my sister is totally into that series. Great for summer reading!

      Delete